Friday 16 May 2014

Mango and coconut muffins

Set of Five Bakery Muffins
Image from here



Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 cups sifted self raising flour
  • 1 1/4 cups desiccated coconut
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (or normal milk if you never remember to buy buttermilk!!)
  • 2 lightly beaten eggs
  • 75g melted butter
  • 1 roughly chopped mango
Method

  • Preheat oven to 190 degrees
  • Spray a 12 hole muffin tray with cooking spray
  • In a bowl mix flour, coconut and sugar.  Make a well in the centre.
  • In a separate bowl combine, buttermilk, eggs and butter.
  • Use a large metal spoon or spatula to fold the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture.
  • Add the mango and fold until just combined.
  • Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan.
  • Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
  • Remove from oven and stand for several minutes before transferring muffins to a wire rack to cool.
  • These muffins can be kept in an airtight container for up to three days.  I don't see why you couldn't freeze these??
  • As an alternate to mango try fresh peach or apricot.  I have also used tinned fruit drained really well.
While on the hunt for our elusive camera I came across this recipe I had ripped out of the paper (4/2/09)!!  I used to make these regularly with a variety of fruits.  I love this recipe as it is all pantry staples, easy and tasty!!  

I will give these a whirl again over the weekend as I am looking for something new and sort of healthy for lunchboxes and baby snacks.  Also perfect timing as I put my name down for morning tea at playgroup and the letter for that week will be M.  Hello muffins and Mexican (corn chips and salsa!!).  These will be perfect to make plus I have a mini muffin tin somewhere so I will make a couple of different varieties of muffins.  Too easy!!

Linking up for Sunday Brunch with Mum's Take Five and for the first ever Fabulous Foodie Fridays with bake play smile and create bake make (head over to either of the links to find out more on this one!!  You have been warned that visiting any of these blogs will make your weight increase and you will drool all over your computer!!)
http://www.mumstakefive.com/

Feel free to link up with the link up that lives here Things I Know #tik.  I love knowing what other people know!!  You are totally welcome to link up anything!!  Link opens at 6am Friday and is open all week.

Also linking this with
for #openslather!!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party!!! Your recipe sounds absolutely devine! I love the combination of mango and coconut... it always reminds me of a tropical holiday!!! xxx Lucy from Bake Play Smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann, Thanks for linking in again. i was thinking this is a great recipe base and then i read the rest of your post :) i just can't stand mango - you know when you have something that was really bad and you can just never go back ? lol Japanese exchange student when i was in high school cured me of mango forever lol . Catch you for #tik again later this week xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love mango and coconut and especially together! Will definitely be trying these out on the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarious your playgroup does an alphabet morning tea! I bet no one puts their hand up for X...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delish! Two of my most fav ingredients ever. You are bad for my weight! Will be trying them for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, drooling already :) Gosh, love this recipe Ann...yummo!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go you for playgroup, you've got it all stitched up ;)
    They sound delicious. I haven't had mango in the longest time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look too easy thank you, I love coconut and mango xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look delicious!!! I will be giving these a go!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading whatever babbling has been written here!! Please feel free to leave a comment and I promise I do reply, usually by telepathy!!