Monday 1 July 2013

You think English is easy??!!

You think English is easy??

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.
...

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish furniture..

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert..

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object.

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear..

19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?


How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.


A friend shared this on facebook on the weekend and I had to share it around as it is a real brain thinker!!  Definately one of the better things I saw on facebook this weekend!!  I know a couple of people who I am sure will get a kick out of this!! 
Linking this for One Mother Hen's Open Slather.  I have a busy couple of days ahead so apologies if I do not get to read or comment on anything until later in the week!! 
Oh and thanks Mother Nature for turning the tap off yesterday!!  Although the ammount of washing I have to do is making me ill just thinking about it!!

5 comments:

  1. Yes the marvel that is the English language, I do fear for it at times though I must admit. WIth the onset of texting and cramming it all into 140 characters then all the other abbreviation of words that goes on... Thanks for sharing, though I was a tad disappointed when I saw you were sharing it from elsewhere, I was thinking you were all kinds of awesome for writing this.
    Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses lovely, hope you get through the washing quickly and painlessly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that, now I need to give my brain a holiday. I feel sorry for the poor person trying to learn the english language and getting their head around that piece of prose. Then there is the difference between Australian, british and american english as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try teaching it! English would have to be the hardest language to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love things like this and could read them for ages !!! Thanks so much for sharing it !
    Have a great weekend !
    Me
    PS - if you could do whatever you did to get Nature to turn the tap off for you so that she will turn the tap off for us I would really appreciate it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. It would be so difficult to consciously learn these things which come so naturally to us. I am finding it hard enough to explain some sayings to my six-year-old.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading whatever babbling has been written here!! Please feel free to leave a comment and I promise I do reply, usually by telepathy!!