Monday 3 September 2012

Key Lime Pie

Key lime pie

From The Australian Women's Weekly, Feb 07
Key lime pie







Serving size: Serves 8
Cuisine type: American
Cooking time: Less than 60 minutes
Special options: Heart friendly, Kid friendly, Low Carb, Low cholesterol, Low fat
Course: Dessert
Favourite flavours: Cakes/baking

INGREDIENTS

An American favourite from Florida, this recipe traditionally uses Key limes.

150g Granita biscuits
80g butter, melted
4 egg yolks
400g can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon finely grated lime rind
½ cup (125ml) lime juice
300ml thickened cream, whipped
METHOD

Preheat oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan-forced).


Process biscuits until fine. Transfer to a bowl; stir in butter. Press mixture
over base and side of a 23cm pie plate. Place plate on oven tray and bake for 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool.

Beat egg yolks in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
On low speed, add condensed milk, rind and juice.

Pour the mixture into prepared crust. Bake for about 12 minutes or until just set. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until required. Remove pie from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.

Cut pie into wedges. Serve with whipped cream and extra lime rind,
if desired.


Suitable to freeze. Butter suitable to microwave.

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/food/cookbooks/790475/key-lime-pie

Yes I did just steal this recipe but it is way too good not to share!!  If someone invites me for a bbq this is what I am bringing!!

I am not a cook in fact I despise recipes that are complicated or have a lot of ingredients or use multiple machines which I do not own but this is an exception.  I bring out the 30 year old mixer and use my blender for the crumbs although a processor is on my hit list of appliances to own. 

This is so easy and tastes divine.  I use ginger nut bickies as the lime and ginger really go well together.  I use the whole pack of bickies and a little more butter.  I cook the base for slightly less time than they say or it can become very crunchy and I do not worry about the cream.  I usually just serve it with ice cream or some thickened cream!!

Make it and enjoy!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
”Melting

7 comments:

  1. OMG that sounds and looks sooo nice. I don't have a lot of fancy machines either, I do things the hard way lol. The ginger biscuit idea is clever. Thanks for adding to Open Slather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thing to use up all your eggs with!!

      Delete
  2. Yum - this looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good!! thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! I've never tried key lime pie. We'd love you to share it over at our linky if you get a chance :)
    http://meltingmoments.info/?p=2689

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading whatever babbling has been written here!! Please feel free to leave a comment and I promise I do reply, usually by telepathy!!